Picture by Linda Moakes
3rd Dec 2023
Picture by Linda Moakes
3rd Dec 2023
Take your time, look around, and learn all there is to know about us.
We hope you enjoy our site and take a moment to drop us a line by clicking on the balloon in the bottom right.
Sign up to hear from us with Parish updates
Sgt T E DUDLEY
Thomas Dudley was the son of John and Barbara Dudley and the husband of Agnes Nellie Ann Dudley (known as Ann). He and Ann had a son, John, born in the summer of 1944.
Thomas served as an Air Gunner with the RAF. On the night of 28th January 1944, he and his fellow crew took off from RAF Melbourne in their Halifax for a bombing raid on Berlin. In total 677 aircraft were involved in the mission and 46 were lost, including Tom Dudley’s Halifax which crashed at Kliplev, Denmark. All the crew perished and are buried at Aabenraa Cemetery in Denmark.
Although he had been based at RAF Melbourne, he was stationed at Syerston and at the time of his death was billeted with the Pickup family at The Chestnuts on Station Road, Fiskerton.
F/LT CEDRIC CHARLES FOX
Cedric Charles Fox was born on 25th June 1915 in Fiskerton to Charles and Frances. In 1939 he was living in Nottingham and working as a Pattern Reader and Corrector in the lace trade.
Cedric Fox was a flight engineer with 158 Sqn. Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserves and earned a Distinguished Flying Medal. He took off on the night of 24/25th May 1944 to attack two railway yards in Aachen, Germany. 442 Aircraft took part in the raid of which 25 were lost, including Cedric’s which crashed in the vicinity of Aachen.
Cedric is buried in the Reinberg War Cemetery in Germany. The national probate record shows that his next of kin was his father, Charles, who at that time was a licensed victualler of the Bromley Arms in Fiskerton.
Sgt JOHN WILLIAM GARLAND
John Garland was a sergeant with 101 Squadron, Bomber Command. An Air Gunner, he was killed in action on 2nd December 1943 when his Lancaster, which was based at Ludford Magna, Lincolnshire, was shot down at Rehfelde, about 21 miles east of the target while on a raid over Berlin. He is buried in Berlin War Cemetery. His parents lived in Station Lane, near Fiskerton Station and he was their only child.
Pte JOHN VESSEY HIBBARD
John Vessey Hibbard was born on 28th September 1916, the son of George Henry and Sydney Ann Hibbard. In 1939 his parents were running the village shop in Morton and John was working as a farm hand and market gardener. At that time the shop was next to the school and is now known as Rose Cottage.
He was a volunteer with the 11thNottinghamshire Home Guard and was killed, aged 25, on 28th December 1941 in an accident.
His is one of only two military burials in Morton churchyard.
Pte WILLIAM A RAISIN
William Raisin was the son of Arthur and Ellen Raisin and was born in 1919 in Derby. The family lived at the gatehouse at Bailey’s Crossing, Gorsey Lane.
William served as a Private with the 8th Bn Sherwood Foresters. He died on 24thNovember 1939, aged 20, and is buried in St Denis Churchyard, Morton.
Pte SAMUEL COX
Samuel Cox was born in Fiskerton in 1896, the youngest of seven children, and grew up with his family on Main Street, Fiskerton. His father, also called Samuel and originally from Bedfordshire, was a lighterman employed by the Trent Navigation Co, and his mother, Emma, came from Swinderby.
By 1911 Samuel had left the family home and was working as a pageboy for Mr Theodore Acton Becher Walker, who was a man of private means living in Fiskerton. Samuel was one of three servants.
During WWI, having enlisted in Chesterfield, Samuel served as a Private with the 26th Bn Royal Fusiliers. He died on the 23rd of September 1917, aged 21, and is buried in Tyne Cot Cemetery in Belgium.
Pte FRANK FOSTER
Frank Foster was born at Brinkley on 11 July 1896, the youngest son of George Foster, a Market Gardener, and his wife, Hannah, who was born in Sleaford. He had an two older brothers and a younger sister. By 1911 the family had moved to Morton Fields. Frank joined the South Notts Hussars on 12th July 1912, was mobilised at the outbreak of war in August 1914 and volunteered for service abroad. He served with the Egyptian Expeditionary Force from 15th April 1915 and proceeded to Gallipoli the following August. Frank was reported missing after fighting at Chocolate Hill on the 22nd August 1915 and is assumed to have been killed in action on that date. His Captain wrote: ‘I have always found Private Foster one of my best men, and all are sorry to lose him.’ He is commemorated on the Helles Memorial, Turkey.
Pte CYRIL GILLIAT
Cyril Gilliat was born in 1897 in Morton, where his father, William, was listed in the 1901 census as a ‘Threshing Machine Owner’. Cyril had three older sisters and lived with his family in Main St, or Village St, as it was known in 1901. By 1911 his three sisters had left home and he had two younger brothers. His father was then described as a farm labourer.
Cyril served as a rifleman in the 11th Bn Rifle Brigade and he died of wounds on 31stMarch 1917 in Flanders. He is buried in Combles Cemetery in France.
Chief Stoker CHARLES JARVIS
Charles Jarvis was born on 21st February 1876 in Morton. His parents, William and Priscilla came from Bedford where two of his older sisters were also born. Charles and his two brothers were born and raised in Morton. They lived in the Railway Gate House and in 1881 their father is described as a Railway point man for the Midland Railway Company. Charles’s mother died in 1882 aged 35 but his father continued working for the railway and in 1891 he was working as a gate man. Charles, aged 13, was working as a farm hand. Charles’s father died in 1904.
Charles joined the Royal Navy on 22nd April 1896, aged 18 on a twelve year engagement and extended his service in 22nd April 1908 and then served continuously until his death in 1915. He married Annie Eliza Rose in 1904 and they had two daughters and a son, all born in Portsmouth.
Charles joined the navy as a Stoker 2nd Class and was promoted to Chief Stoker on 1stAugust 1911 serving aboard Submarine E5, noted as the first submarine to fire a torpedo.
Charles died accidentally when he fell overboard from a plank while boarding Submarine E5 on 16thJanuary 1915. A Court of Enquiry found that he had drowned and noted that his death was due to misadventure and no blame was attributable to anyone.
He is buried in Caister Cemetery near Great Yarmouth.
Submarine E5 was lost in March 1916 whilst rescuing survivors from a stricken trawler in the North Sea. It is believed she struck a mine.
Pte LEONARD SMITH
Leonard Smith was the son of Charles and Eliza Jane Smith. He was born in Lenton, Nottingham, but in 1901 the family were living in Upton in one of the mill cottages. His father, Charles, died in 1910, and his mother and two youngest sisters then moved to Fiskerton and in 1911 were living in Wilson’s Lane (at Elvina Cottage). Leonard served as a Private with the Sherwood Foresters.
Cpl CHARLES VOCE
Charles was born in Fiskerton in 1898. His father, William, was a general farm labourer and Charles was the third of six sons. In 1911 he was working, aged 13, as an Assistant Gardener, possibly for his 19 year old eldest brother, Thomas, who was working as a Domestic Gardener.
Charles served as a Corporal with the 1st Bn Sherwood Foresters. When he volunteered on 11thDecember 1916 he described himself as a Miller’s Labourer. He died on the 27 February 1919 and is buried in Ath Communal Cemetery in Belgium.
Sgt JOHN GAMBLE WALLER
John Waller, the son of Herbert and Marion Waller, was born in Manchester in 1890. His parents, originally both from Norwich, moved to Brinkley and his father became the Headmaster of Morton School in 1903. His mother, two older sisters and two younger brothers were also teachers and in 1911 John is recorded in the census as working as an elementary school teacher.
John Waller enlisted at Bramley, Surrey, whilst residing at Morton. He served with the 5thBattalion The Queen’s Royal West Surrey Regiment in India before going to Mesopotamia where he was killed in action on 11th September 1916 during an attack on an Arab village. He is commemorated at Basra War Cemetery in modern day Iraq.
At the time of their son’s death his family were living at Gable House,Middle Lane, Morton where they continued to reside until at least the mid 1920’s.
Pte CHARLES WILLOWS
Charles Willows was born in 1897 the son of William and Mary Willows but when he was less than a year old his father died and shortly afterwards his mother remarried a Mr Edward Widdowson who worked as a boatman for the Trent Navigation Co. In 1911 Charles was employed as a farm hand, aged 14.
Charles served as a Private with the King’s Own Yorkshire Light Infantry. He died, aged 20, on 3 October 1917 and is buried in Favreuil Cemetery in France.
Back in 1086, the Domesday entry indicated that Fiskerton was relatively prosperous. In addition to enough arable land for 7 ploughs, there were 2 mills, a fishery and a ferry and 42 acres of meadow, pasture and woodland.
About 1140, Walter’s son, Ralph d’Aincourt, founded Thurgarton Priory, giving Fiskerton as part of its endowment. Southwell Minster (representing the Archbishop of York) then released all its rights over Fiskerton to the Priory and Fiskerton remained under the control of the Priory until the time of the Dissolution in 1538.
During this time there was a chapel dedicated to St. Mary, the site of which appeared on various maps until the early 20th century.
When this chapel was founded and who by is uncertain, but it was in the possession of Thurgarton Priory by the first half of the 12th century and served by canons from there.
The Register or Cartulary of Thurgarton, which was written in the early 1300s, describes the chapel as set in a court, which suggests it was part of a complex of buildings, and notes that the field in which it stood was the Grange Field, a name still in use today. There was also a graveyard attached. The chapel is no longer marked on current OS maps and after years of farming activity, plus the flood defence works in the mid 20th century, there is now nothing left to show where it had been.
At the Dissolution, Thurgarton Priory was seized by the Crown. Fiskerton’s tithes (a form of tax for the support of the local rector or church) were granted to Rolleston, so the village became part of the ecclesiastical parish of Rolleston as is still the case today. Ownership of the land, along with the rest of the Priory estates, was eventually granted by Elizabeth 1st to Thomas Cooper.
The Coopers held land in Fiskerton and Morton as Lords of the Manor for nearly a century until the civil war when Sir Roger Cooper supported the king and had his lands confiscated by the Roundheads when the king was defeated. He had to pay a crushing fine to recover them and so sold his farms in Fiskerton and Morton in 1649 to Dr. Huntingdon Plumptre, a member of a famous Nottingham family. By the 19th century, the Plumptre's had settled in Kent and had been selling off their Nottinghamshire property. What remained of their lands in Fiskerton and Morton was eventually sold in 1857 to William Wright of Fiskerton and the title “Lord of the Manor” ceased with the death of his great nephew, Richard Wright, in 1968.
Fishing and agriculture remained important, with several farms being located close to the heart of the village, but thanks to proximity to the River Trent, Fiskerton was also able to develop other industries, so that by 1842 there were wharfs, coal yards and warehouses all along the river front. Malting had also become a local industry and the Newark brewer, James Hole, had a large malthouse here. There was a watermill to be found on the Greet and a windmill on what is now Station Road. In total there were 75 houses in Fiskerton and a population of 404.
The 19th century saw a great deal of change. One of the most important developments was the opening of the Nottingham-Lincoln railway in August 1846 with a station barely half a mile from the village centre.
By the end of the century, many wharves and warehouses had disappeared and in their place substantial houses, like Fiskerton House and Fiskerton Manor, were to be found along the riverside.
The large malthouse, on what is today referred to as The Wharf, closed in 1904 when James Hole decided to concentrate all its business in Newark, and some employees moved from Fiskerton as a consequence. The premises were eventually bought as a grain store around 1919, by Southwell miller, C.G. Caudwell, and the wharf was used for loading and unloading materials destined for the Southwell corn mill. The Caudwells owned it until c.1974 when it was then used for a boat building business and eventually in the 1980s became a private residence.
There is still a mill on the Greet today and its location is most likely to have been the Domesday mill site. This mill, however, was built in 1790 as a cotton mill, though by 1837 it was being used as a corn mill, owned by Mr. John Chambers of Tibshelf. Joseph Marriott ran the mill from the mid 1840s and eventually purchased it in 1881, leaving it to his son, William Birch Marriott, who continued to run the mill until 1921. After this time it was used to produce animal feedstuffs and ceased production in the 1980s.
Fire was an ever present threat in a corn mill and Fiskerton Mill suffered three major fires. The date and severity of the first is unknown, but the second was well documented. It occurred on 8 December 1851 and resulted in the death of five men. The mill was largely destroyed, but re-built very much as it had been. It then suffered another fire in 1856, though reports suggest it was far less damaging than the earlier one in 1851.
The building dates from the 18th century and was then known as the “Wagon & Horses”, though early deeds mention that it had also been known as “The Ferry House”. It was sold in 1877 to Sir Henry Bromley of East Stoke, reputedly so he could hunt on both sides of the river, and its name was consequently changed to the “Bromley Arms”. At this time the pub was one of the many stations used for changing the horses which drew the barges and there was stabling for 27 horses. It also had its own brewhouse. The Bromley Arms was bought by Hardy & Hanson Brewery around 1933.
The building immediately to the right of the pub in the above photograph was another pub, “The Spread Eagle”, but this closed in 1912.
The pub is now called 'The Bromley at Fiskerton' details of menu and opening times can be found http://www.bromleyatfiskerton.com reports suggest it was far less damaging than the earlier one in 1851.
Archaeological evidence, both actual finds and crop marks from aerial photographs, shows evidence of occupation of the Trent Valley since at least the Iron Age, including settlement around Fiskerton and Morton. The early history of both villages was dominated by proximity to the River Trent, with various settlers and invaders arriving along the river. The area was occupied by the Celtic Coritani tribe when the Romans came in the 1st century AD. The Angles and Saxons followed in the 5th & 6th centuries, the Danes in the 8th & 9th centuries and eventually the Normans.
Fiskerton’s name shows it was a Saxon settlement, deriving from the old English words “fiscere” and “tun” meaning “the farm of the fishermen” and reflecting the abundance of fish in the nearby rivers Greet and Trent. Morton’s name also derives from old English, meaning the settlement on the moor or “wild land”.
The earliest documentary reference to both villages is in the Southwell Charter. Fiskerton and Morton were amongst the villages given in 956AD to Oskytel, the Archbishop of York by the Saxon king of Mercia, Edwig, as part of his attempt to strengthen his northern boundary. The area covered by the Charter later became known (in Church history terms) as the Southwell Peculiar, an area shown as prosperous, well-organised and well farmed.
After the Norman invasion, William 1 had all his lands surveyed, basically for the purposes of taxation, and the results were listed in the Domesday Book of 1086. Both Fiskerton and Morton are mentioned. The major landowner at this time was Walter d’Aincourt, although the villages still came under the jurisdiction of the Archbishop of York, who was effectively Lord of the Manor.
From the time of the Southwell Charter 956 AD, Morton was closely associated with Southwell Minster and references to the village in early records were often in connection with its church.
The Church of St. Denis
The present brick-built church dates from 1758, though there has been a church on the site since medieval times. The earliest reference is to a Chapel of Ease dedicated to St. Denis being established in Morton in the reign of King Stephen (1096-1154). This Chapel of Ease was founded by the inhabitants so they could have divine service in Morton, their parish church of Southwell being “farre from them”.
The old church building was demolished around the middle of the eighteenth century, though there are no records as to exactly why nor at whose expense the new church was built. All that is known about it is that a later vicar, the Rev. John Marsh, who died in 1878, used to speak about an “aged parishioner who worshiped in the old timber-framed and thatched Church at Morton, which was taken down in 1758”.
for more info on church see http://southwellchurches.history.nottingham.ac.uk/morton/hintro.php
At the time of the Domesday Book, Walter D’Aincourt was the main landowner in Morton. Several landowners followed, including the Cressovers , but one family in particular that should be mentioned was the de Annesly family because the de Annesly estate passed through marriage to John Ashwell, who built, it is believed, Ashwell Hall. This was the manor house of its day and was described by Thoroton in his History of Nottinghamshire published in 1677 as a “capital messuage”. Its exact location remains unknown, though there is some speculation that it might have been on the site of the present Manor Farm.
Like Fiskerton, the manorial lands of Morton were eventually granted by Elizabeth 1st to Thomas Cooper and so passed into the hands of the Plumptres from 1649 and then to the Wrights from 1857. The remnants of the Manor Estate were sold in 1968 and most now form part of Morton Manor Farm.
Morton Manor Farm has one of the oldest buildings in the village, a dovecote, or more properly a pigeoncote, which dates from the 17th century. The dovecote features in Mediaeval Dovecotes in Nottinghamshire written in 1927 by J. Whitaker. He complained in the book that this dovecote had lately been turned into a place to hold the machine for the electric lighting of the house and buildings. When the dovecote was in use it had nesting places for around 600 birds.
Agriculture was, until well into the 20th century, the main occupation of people living in the village and Morton Manor Farm is one of two farms still operating today.
The village in 1950 was very much as it had been 100 years earlier with development contained in general between the Church and Back Lane. It has, however, almost doubled in size over the last fifty years to about 62 houses, and, like Fiskerton, now largely serves as a commuter village for Nottingham and elsewhere.
The first meeting of the SGA was, on 9th July, 1969, to organise a Sports Day. A group of local residents wanted to promote sport and leisure in the villages. Races, games, stalls and other activities were to be included, and tickets were to be 2/6p (half a crown in old money). This led to the decision that the two villages would benefit from a permanent location for sport and social events.
The SGA began fundraising and started to look for a suitable site for cricket, football, and a Hall with car parking space.
It is thanks to the generosity of Arthur Radford and his purchase of the land which now bears his name that we are able to benefit from this magnificent sporting facility.
A 99 year lease was negotiated. A charity was then registered in the name Fiskerton cum Morton Sports Village Hall Playing Field and Pavilion of the Arthur Radford Sports Ground.
The SGA became the voluntary management committee with responsibility for financial viability, upkeep and maintenance, to encourage and support sport and leisure and to organise community social events.
Many hours of hard work by volunteers turned the field into a cricket and football ground. With funds already raised, a second hand pavilion was bought, which provided changing rooms, a hall and kitchen. And further fundraising by local parents later added the children’s playground.
Fiskerton’s name shows it was a Saxon settlement, deriving from the old English words “fiscere” and “tun” meaning “the farm of the fishermen” and reflecting the abundance of fish in the nearby rivers Greet and Trent.
References to a ferry at Fiskerton, first mentioned in the Domesday Book, appear throughout the centuries. In addition, horses and carts could ford the river at low tide, so Fiskerton was the main river crossing point on a principal route between Newark and Nottingham.
By 1900, the ferry crossing and the landing rights on both sides of the Trent were attached to the Bromley Arms and for foot passengers the ferry consisted of a rowing boat. There was also a wide, shallow sided, light barge.
The Mission Chapel located on Main Street Fiskerton, was opened in 1874, built at a cost of £300, funds being raised by public subscription. It was built primarily to cater for the families of the boats and barges travelling up and down the Trent, but was used for services for only a short time.
By the 19th century there was a strong Methodist presence in Fiskerton.
The Methodist Chapel, which is located on the corner of Gravelly Lane and Main Street Fiskerton, dates from 1809 and an extension at the rear was added in 1888. In the mid 1800s two services were held every Sunday with a congregation of around 75 at each and there was also a thriving Sunday school. The last Methodist service was held in July 2004, but the chapel had already been sold to “Henri’s Revivals” 15 years earlier.
Morton’s name also derives from old English, meaning the settlement on the moor or “wild land”.
At the heart of the village is the Full Moon pub. The building was originally three cottages and the pub started as a single-room bar in one. Records show there was a beerhouse here in 1841 and the pub may have existed even earlier. The cottages were only knocked into one after 1975 and the porch added at a later date.
for more information visit; www.thefullmoonmorton.co.uk